Monday, February 12, 2007

Skills Assessment

I attempted to use Moodle's quiz module for a short Word vocabulary test today. First of all I found out that the module is good for some questions but not for others. Its great for multiple choice and true/false - those are easy and it will even randomly place answers for each student - which is nice in a computer lab where everyone can see each other's screens. I tried using the short answer feature - that one didn't work as well. I had to go back and re-score about 8 tests that wrote something correct - but not my choice of word. I wanted to use matching for vocabulary - but the module makes you list the name number of words and definitions and I wanted extra definitions.

So, as an assessment tool, its OK but not great. I think in the future I might use it for a quick pop quiz just to check understanding. I do like the Journal module in Moodle. The students write a private message to me and I can respond back to them and I can give them a grade or not.

I am struggling with assessment a little in my implementation. I keep going back to my goals and asking myself "What does this look like and how do I know the students are meeting these goals?". Right now I am not sure if my assessments up to this point are accurately anwering that question.

No comments: