Monday, February 5, 2007

CMS: Using Moodle

I unveiled the launch of Moodle today with my Computer Applications students. After a few problems of email authentification, all of my students can now access the site. My goal for using Moodle is to create a space where I can communicate with my students and also encourage communication between students.

Since I am new to Moodle, I am slowly rolling out different modules. I started with a discussion forum to encourage communication between students (a get to know each other activity) and asked them to update their profile with a photo. Since my class is mixed grades 9-12 - having photos should help everyone learn names and hopefully overcome the territorial behavior associated with my computer students (they sit at the same computer everyday!).

The overall reaction was positive to the site. Accessing the forums and blog areas wasn't difficult for anyone (thank you MySpace) and all student were actively engaged in the activity.

No comments: