Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Cycle Two Evaluation

WHAT’S FOR LUNCH? – Cycle Two Evaluations 5/1/07

1. What year are you?

  • a. Freshmen – 11
  • b. Sophomore – 3
  • c. Junior – 2
  • d. Senior – 2

2. Which desktop publishing feature was the most beneficial to learn this term (multiple answers allowed)

  • a. Page border – 5
  • b. Word Art – 6
  • c. AutoShapes – 5
  • d. Text Boxes – 10
  • e. Diagram / Organizational Chart – 8
  • f. Insert Clip Art & Edit Picture – 6
  • g. Line / Arrow options 3
  • h. Shadow – 3
  • i. 3-D – 5
  • j. Font Effects – 5
  • k. Fill Color / Effects – 6
  • l. Align / rotate / flop – 6
  • m. Track Changes – 11
  • n. Other – 1 - Header / Footer & Indents

3. Which statement(s) best describe your opinion about the WHAT’S FOR LUNCH? project (multiple answers allowed)

  • a. I enjoyed taking photos of people’s lunch for data collection – 4
  • b. I enjoyed using Google shared spreadsheets for data collection – 4
  • c. I learned new desktop publishing features when I created my poster – 11
  • d. I learned how to record a podcast – 9
  • e. I learned the steps of a mail merge letter – 11
4. Please rate your understanding of the following Excel skills:


I still have difficulty with this skill

I need some help with this skill

I am comfortable with this skill

I could teach another student this skill

Formatting the spreadsheet

0

1

11

6

Writing a formula

0

0

11

7

Creating a graph

0

2

9

7


5. What suggested do you have for how the WHAT’S FOR LUNCH? project could be improved in the future (be specific: lunch data collection, poster, mail merge, or podcast)

  • a. I thought it was pretty good to be honest
  • b. During the lunch data collection, it might give better data if people take a picture of variety of lunches from home, school, etc..
  • c. More time to collect data
  • d. I liked how we did it.
  • e. I don’t have any
  • f. None
  • g. Can’t think of anything, sorry
  • h. I think that the podcast was a very good idea for a project. It gets the work done while at the same time you can play around and add in sound bites and things like that. I enjoyed it a lot.
  • i. For the podcast, we could learn more specifically how to add songs, or edit in a way that doesn’t seem choppy when you listen to it.
  • j. Nothing that I can think of. It had been taught very well. Going online and using different search engines to find out the information required made it fun.
  • k. Maybe put something in the paper to let other kids know and also let parents know.
  • l. Instead of taking pictures of the lunches, there should be a log in which the lunch is written down. The pictures can be obtained from Google images.
  • m. I think we could have come up with a more interactive way to use the info.
  • n. The only improvement I can think of is that instead of looking at all of the lunches it should be focused on what is most popular. That way people would have a better understanding of they like and normally eat.
  • o. I ‘m not sure I think that the project went well and it was informative.
  • p. I think lunch data should come from one specified site; some data doesn’t match even though the data contains same food.

6 Evaluate how well your group worked together on the mad lib mail merge project.


The statement is false

The statement is partly true

The statement is true

Everyone contributed to the writing of the mad lib

2

5

11

Everyone contributed when we went to the other groups to enter data

0

3

15

Everyone is our group understands how to do a mail merge

1

5

12





















On a scale of 1-5 rate your teacher on the follow items:


1 Poor

2 Just Ok

3 Good

4 Very Good

5 Excellent

Knowledge of technical skills

0

0

1

1

16

Availability for help

0

0

2

4

12

Feedback given to you about your progress

0

0

3

8

7

Ability to teach new skills

0

0

1

1

16

Friendliness

0

0

0

2

16

Motivates me to learn

0

0

5

6

8

TOTAL

0

0

12

22

75






















8 An effort was made during this Unit to give more direct instruction for technology skills. Was this helpful? Did you feel you needed it in order to be successful?

a. Yes, this was helpful. I feel I can learn better when the information is direct and not done through a project.

b. It was very helpful to learn many technological skills. With all the skills that we learned we were able to organize the data and make attractive looking posters. It might even help me later on when I need to work with Excel or Word Art.

c. Yes, it did.

d. Yeah, it was – except I didn’t need much help but when I did – it was effective.

e. Yes, learning the technological skills is the reason I signed up to take the class.

f. This was sort of helpful because I have taken a course like this before. The best and most important thing I have learned so far is how to track changes in Word.

g. Yes, this was very helpful. It motivated me to do even better.

h. Yes, I do think it was needed.

i. Yes, to both questions.

j. Yes, it was helpful, and since this was all new, it helped me in order to be successful, that there were specific instructions on what to do.

k. Learning how to do a mail merge – it makes writing a letter a much faster process than before.

l. I thought it was helpful and it did benefit me.

m. Yes, it was needed.

n. I thought that most of the stuff we learned was fun and useful - the mail merge, for example. I told my mom about it and she was like “Oh, show me how to do that when we get home, that’s how I will do my thank you letters from now on”.

o. Since I did not have a lot of understanding of computer skills at the start – and I do now – I’d say it was helpful and necessary.

p. I think it this was helpful and it was necessary to be successful.

q. Yes, it was helpful, and those technology skills are used during this whole unit.


9. During the next cycle, you will be asked to create a PowerPoint presentation. What is your experience with PowerPoint?


I have never done this before

I need a lot of help with this skill

I could do this skill with a little help

I am comfortable with this skill

Creating PowerPoint slides

0

0

2

16

Changing the slide design

0

0

4

14

Adding animations

2

0

6

10

Using the “master slide” template

3

4

7

4

Using and adding “action buttons”

4

2

7

6

Adding sounds or video

3

5

4

6









No comments: