Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Excel Formula Quiz & Assessment

Last Thursday the class took a quiz to check for comprehension of Excel vocabulary words and understanding of how to write an Excel formula. Out of 18 students - 2 students completely bombed the test and 3 others made some critical mistakes - but the other 13 did fine.

I decided to have one-on-one conferences to go over the quizzes and their last Excel project with each student. This is giving me the opportunity to re-teach some skills and check for understanding. The two students who bombed the test will retake it tommorrow. With the others I can point out what they are doing right and also how to correct mistakes.

My students scored "giving feedback" lowest on my teacher evaluation and I am making steps to correct this and make sure that learning and understanding are the focus of my classes - not grades.

QUIZ

% passed
greater 70%

% failed
less 70%

Class Average

Section One: Excel vocabulary terms

83.3%

16.6%

85%

Section Two: Writing formulas

50%

50%

62%

Total



77%


After the quiz I held individual conferences with the student to review the material. I collected these comments from the students during the conferences:

  • I mixed up the definitions of a formula and function.
  • I knew how to write the formula; I just wasn’t sure which cell references to use.
  • I don’t have any difficulty with basic functions.
  • Since the summary was separate from the data, I found it challenging to write the formulas.
  • I can get the formula to work on the computer with the help of the Insert Function button; I just have a harder time writing them out during a quiz.
  • The AutoSum functions make it easy to calculate totals and averages.
  • I chose the correct numbers for the formula – I just missed some of the punctuation on the formula and that wouldn’t happen if I was using the computer.
  • I didn’t study the vocabulary before the test.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'd agree that giving feedback would be the most helpful thing a teacher can do. I just graduated college and in my last semester, I had a professor who didn't give any feedback, therefore causing many students to lose interest and give up. Even though to a certain extent grades matter, the idea of making the class more about learning and less about grades is a great idea. Now that I am out seeking a job, it would be nice is the companies that use a PEO would give you some sort of feedback to let you know why you were or weren't selected for the job.